Thanksgiving is a long-lasting tradition in the United States — a day when families and friends come together to give thanks and ultimately enjoy a hearty feast. It's an indulgent celebration, from the mouthwatering turkey and stuffing to the delectable pumpkin pie and other delicious desserts. It’s safe to say the day is centered on food. But what about Thanksgiving fitness?
While savoring these delicious treats is essential to the holiday, maintaining a consistent fitness routine is beneficial. And since most of us have the day off, there’s no excuse not to get in a pre or post-turkey workout.
We’ll give you some helpful Thanksgiving fitness tips as we explore the perfect harmony of Thanksgiving and Lagree, our favorite low-impact, high-intensity workout.
The Importance of Consistency
It's not just about looking good — regular exercise profoundly impacts your physical and mental health. If anything, the sexy reflection staring back at you in the mirror is like the whipped cream on top of your pumpkin pie. Let that vision encourage you to complete a turkey burn workout before the big feast. As you gear up for Thanksgiving and the holiday season, keep these five benefits of a consistent Lagree fitness routine in mind:
- Physical health: Regular exercise helps maintain a healthy weight, reduce the risk of chronic diseases, improve cardiovascular health, and enhance overall physical fitness.
- Mental health: Exercise releases endorphins, which are natural mood boosters. This can help alleviate symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression, making you more resilient to the holiday season's potential stressors.
- Increased energy: Engaging in regular physical activity boosts your energy levels, making you feel more lively and alert during the hustle and bustle of the holidays.
- Better sleep: A consistent fitness routine improves the quality of your sleep, helping you wake up feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the day.
- Enhanced self-esteem: Regular exercise boosts your confidence and self-esteem, enabling you to enjoy holiday gatherings with a positive self-image.
Considering the plethora of benefits, staying committed to your fitness goals is crucial, even more so during the holiday season — all the more reason to sneak in an early turkey workout.
Why is maintaining a consistent Lagree fitness routine so important? Consistency is the key to achieving and sustaining your fitness goals. It helps you build a strong foundation for a healthier life, and this applies year-round. There’s no doubt about it — consistency is at the very top of our list of Thanksgiving fitness tips for you.
Pre-Thanksgiving Lagree Preparation
As Thanksgiving sneaks up on us, preparing for this indulgent holiday in advance is essential. Preparation will help you solidify your Thanksgiving fitness routine amidst the upcoming festivities. Here's how to do it:
- Schedule Lagree classes: Plan your Lagree classes or Thanksgiving workouts leading up to Thanksgiving. This ensures you allocate time for your fitness routine despite a busy holiday schedule. Scheduling ahead of time boosts your chance of staying committed to a Thanksgiving workout.
- Remember the benefits: A turkey burn workout can help you torch extra calories, boost your metabolism, and instill a sense of discipline that translates into healthier food choices on the big day.
- Accountability: Inform your friends and family about your fitness commitments. They can offer support and encouragement, and knowing that others know your goals helps you stay accountable.
Smart Food Choices
Thanksgiving dinner is the star of the show when it comes to the holiday. The delicious aromas and tempting dishes can be challenging for anyone trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. It might be hard to believe, but making mindful food choices while still enjoying yourself is most definitely possible.
- Aim to make mindful food choices — Opt for lean proteins, vibrant vegetables, and whole grains whenever possible. Try incorporating healthier cooking methods, such as grilling, roasting, or steaming.
- Try healthier alternatives — Consider healthier alternatives to traditional dishes, like cauliflower mashed "potatoes," whole-grain stuffing, or a fruit salad as a dessert option.
- Remember portion control — Use smaller plates to control portion sizes. This helps you avoid overeating and encourages mindful eating. Savor each bite and listen to your body's hunger cues. Enjoy all your favorites in moderation.
Have an Active Thanksgiving Day
While Thanksgiving may be centered around an amazing meal, the holiday isn’t only about the food — it's also a perfect time to be active with your family and friends. Encourage everyone to get moving and normalize a turkey burn workout.
A few ideas for some fun, active family-friendly activities:
- A Thanksgiving morning Turkey Trot*
- A friendly game of touch football
- A scenic post-meal walk
- A dance-off
You will enhance your holiday with fun Thanksgiving fitness activities, and everyone will thank you for helping them burn off all those extra calories!
Staying active on Thanksgiving can help balance the sluggishness that typically comes with indulgence and create wonderful memories with loved ones. It's a fantastic way to bond and celebrate together and help you avoid any feelings of guilt post-dinner.
*See if your city hosts an annual Turkey Trot, which is usually a 5K race, and register with your fam!
Treat Yourself, But Indulge Mindfully
Indulging in holiday treats is part of the celebration and is something to look forward to. Thanksgiving happens once a year, so if you choose a day to restrict your diet, this is NOT the day to do so. Live a little, my friend!
It's so important to savor your favorite dishes without feeling guilty. The holidays are a time to celebrate and feel joy, and a small indulgence is a part of that celebration.
So how can you enjoy delicious foods without the guilt? The key is mindful eating.
Practice mindful eating by savoring each and every bite. On a regular day, how often do you find yourself scarfing down a meal, hurrying to get back to work, or making it to your next event? Thankfully, you most likely don’t have to do that on this special Thursday.
So try eating slowly and paying attention to your body's fullness cues. Yes, we know this is challenging, especially when the aroma of that sweet pecan pie is wafting through the room, and there’s more just sitting right in front of you — as if it’s just waiting to be eaten….but you can do it!
Mindful eating helps you enjoy the bountiful flavors of Thanksgiving without the weighted guilt.
Another Thanksgiving fitness tip? Stay hydrated! Thirst can often be mistaken for hunger. And with abundant food before you, it’s easy to forget about your good ol’ friend — H2O. But drinking sufficient water is important as it can help you manage your appetite and prevent overeating.
Hopefully, you find a way to get your turkey workout in, but it's no big deal if you don’t manage. After the Thanksgiving feast, though, it's time to get back on board the fitness train and recover from over-indulgence.
Post-Thanksgiving Fitness Tips:
- Get back on track — Resume your regular Lagree workouts to help burn off any excess calories consumed during Thanksgiving. Remember, scheduling in advance helps you stay consistent and committed.
- Post-holiday detox — Consider incorporating detoxifying practices like drinking plenty of water, consuming more fiber-rich foods, and engaging in self-care activities such as stretching to aid in digestion.
- Self-compassion — It's essential to remember that occasional indulgence is a natural part of the holidays. Be kind to yourself and avoid guilt over what you enjoyed on Thanksgiving.
Black Friday is another excellent time for a turkey burn workout. Thanksgiving fitness still counts the day after — and a Lagree class is an AMAZING way to burn those excess calories!
Celebrate New Traditions (That Aren’t Related to Food)
It's time to take food off the plate for a moment — yes, pun fully intended. Try to motivate yourself, your family, and your friends to focus on non-food aspects of Thanksgiving. Create meaningful traditions that revolve around connection and gratitude.
We already talked about some ideas for physical activities to incorporate Thanksgiving fitness into your holiday, but there are plenty of other options besides a turkey workout.
Some examples of non-food traditions:
- Go around the table and each share one thing you’re thankful for
- Volunteer together — perhaps bringing leftovers to a homeless shelter?
- Play a board game
- Watch a Thanksgiving episode of your favorite TV show together
The true essence of Thanksgiving goes beyond a decadent meal. It’s about spending quality time with your loved ones and giving thanks for all your blessings — including appreciation for what your body can do!
Cherish these moments and create new traditions that deepen your bond. If you can spend time with people you only see on Thanksgiving, make sure you make it count. It’s a perfect day to make memories that last a lifetime.
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, let's remember the importance of balancing indulgence and self-care. Having a Thanksgiving fitness plan to maintain consistency in your Lagree fitness routine can be your secret ingredient for enjoying the holiday season — sans the guilt.
While delighting in a flavorful Thanksgiving meal, don’t forget the benefits of regular exercise for your physical and mental health. Hello, turkey burn workout!
Set yourself up for a successful Thanksgiving workout now, and get ready for Lagree to melt away those calories. Sign up for your first class!